Tuesday 22 March 2011

Feel it turn

One thing I am always thankful for is that nothing lasts forever, and that the only constant is change.  Today was a day for reconnecting and bonding with my kid. 

Anakin had been complaining of ear pain, and thought he had an ear infection. I took him to the clinic, and after a thourough inspection, assured him they looked great.  She said it sounded, from the way he described it, that it sounded more like tooth pain.   So today, I took him to the dentist.  He had x-rays, and his teeth had no visible signs of cavities.  I was relieved.  And then the hygeniest said something to the effect of, "maybe its just growing pains or your wisdom teeth coming in."   It was a priceless panic:
"What are wisdom teeth? I already have all my adult teeth. What do you mean they take them out. I have enough space for them in my mouth.  How do they get them out. Does it hurt?  I dont like surgery. I dont have wisdom teeth.  If I had them I would know.  I have an ear infection.   I know this is an ear infection.  I know what ear infections feel like.  It doesn't hurt in my mouth it hurts in my ear. It doesn't hurt anymore!"
It was pretty cute. 

Nothing makes a better reward for a good check-up than a milkshake, right? And arcade games?  Yep.  That was our afternoon. 

I did some reaching out today, and the underlying theme was that I can only really count on myself.  I was reading some random persons Twitter Bio, and it said something like "Yes, life is different since I had kids, and sure, there are some days I wish I could sleep in, but its all worth it, the little things make it worthwhile."  And I realized that I still haven't developed that kind of relationship with my kid, or any kid.  I still feel like I am at work 24/7, and I would give anything to sleep in.  I am still getting used to his quirks.  Its still  a bumpy ride.  The shining moments are not as frequent as I had hoped. 
I realized that the shining moments were happening today at the dentist though, he did so well, and I could tell we were getting somewhere.  And then, the arcade was the happiest I've seen him in a while.  I think that our honeymoon period is ending, and I am going to have to put a concentrated effort into keeping him occupied and happy, and strengthening our connection.  I know that in my heart, I want to be the last foster home he has to live in.  He is too old to be tossed around any more, and I really do love him.  Watching his struggle over the past few years, and advocating for him and his brother, built a strong bond between us.  He is also starting to really connect with my family, so that is also a huge benefit. 
Theres ups and downs.  We'll get through it. I just like to vent a bit.  No matter how good it is, or how bad it is, the only constant is change, so nothing will last longer than I can bear.  I may scream though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment